If you share a wall with a neighbouring property you require some kind of agreement so that all parties are clear on their rights, responsibly and obligations in connection with the same. A wall separating a building is classed as a “Party Wall”.

The Party Wall Act 1996 came into force in 1997 which stipulates that property owners must adhere to set procedures when looking to undertake building works or alterations to Party Walls in order that the interest of all parties or neighbours are protected so to minimise the potential of any disputes.

If you wish to develop, repair or alter your Party Wall you should service the relevant notice on your neighbour before any works begin or repair work undertaken. Minimal repair such as plastering and incision of electrical sockets fall outside the act.

Should you wish to seek further advice concerning Party Walls or have need for such an agreement please do not hesitate to contact us.